Friday, January 29, 2010

Cooper and Routman have some great ideas...Together

I am constantly asking myself the question Cooper introduces in the beginning of this article: What do my students need as they become expert constructors of meaning? Now his application is centered around literacy, but I keep asking myself this question in each area I teach. The first question I ask though is: How do I get my students on the path of becoming experts to begin with? There are so many stategies, thoughts, recommendations, and even personal teacher stories about what they “love” and “hate” to do in their classrooms regarding literacy instruction. Personal horror stories aside, I believe that both Routman and Cooper offer many ways to help students succeed in the classroom.

One of the stategies that Copper suggests is called Stop and Think. This is something I try to model in the guided reading groups in my classroom. We have combined our groups with the other fifth grade class and I do my best to hear each group in their reading. When a student stumbles while reading a sentence or I see a quizzical brow I stop the group, ask if they can clarify what was just read. Can they replace a word they are not sure means with a word that could make sense within the text? Do you want me to re-read it to you? Often when I am asked to re-read a sentence I will actually re-read a whole section and into the the next few sentences so that the students can hear the words, visualize the situation, and think about what is being said in the text. I often also have to add voice, facial expressions, and physical gestures for the students where applicable. I want to be sure that the students can tell me what is happening in the story, but also that they can see what is happening in the story.

There are times in read aloud when something serious or even funny is happening. I usually spend some time with the students discussing the incident described and asking them questions. Currently we are reading Elijah of Buxton and there is a three day break from read alouds while I am gone. When I come back I want to check in with the students. The first question I ask is: what new characters were introduced to the story? And right when I ask I also remind the students that they need to be able to descibe them to me a little bit. What I am really looking for is can they tell me what occurred or description that is important to the story. I have a bookmark in my book and if they can not I make sure I mark on the bookmark a quick note to check in with the student. This has only occurred once, but when it did I checked in with the student before they left for reccess to see if they understood the portion of the story told that day.

During read alouds I am also looking for emotional responses from the students in what would be appropriate places. Such as laughter when Elijah realizes he is still holding the snake he is trying to run away from. During Mr. Leroy’s description of being branded by a slove owner, I was looking to see if the student’s truly understood the gravity of the description of the event. This was the day that several of the students cried while the event was being told and had questions as to why such an atrocity occurred in the United States. I gave them a chance to ask questions as well because it let me know what they were seeing in their own minds.

This blog is quickly getting too long. There are so many things that I try to do in my own classroom with the students that both authors suggest. There are some similiarities, but I think that Routman focuses directly on the teacher themselves and how to make the process “visible” to students in the classroom. Routman offers what really is the modeling of Cooper’s ideas. This is essential. Modeling! Modeling! Modeling!

One suggestion made by Routman is to check your leveled reading books. I have NOT done this yet. My plan is to arrive on Monday early to take a look at what is being offered to the students. I am starting conferences again and am administering the QRI and I want to make sure that there are many offerings in the library for the students. I want to make recommendations that we can offer them immediately. Lately I have had to purchase the book and bring it in for the student. This is beginning to be an expensive habit! I will spare you more reading and sign off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment